Frequently asked questions
We have employer’s, public and product liability insurance up to £10 million which covers you in the event of damage that exceeds the value of £250.
In the unlikely event that one of our cleaners were to cause damage to your property, there is a £250 excess which you would be responsible for. This is so we can keep our prices low and our minimum visit time at just 2 hours.
Cleaning companies such as Molly Maid for example, have full insurance cover but their cleaning charges are £30 per hour.
However, our hourly rates are between £13.50 – £15.50 per hour (depending on if you have weekly or fortnightly cleaning) less than half of what Molly Maid charges.
We take this process very seriously. We only want the best cleaners cleaning or ironing in your home & representing our company.
Prospective applicants must provide:
- Proof of ID
- Proof of address
- Proof of right to work in the UK (if applicable)
- Two excellent references from current or previous cleaning employers.
We conduct / ensure:
- An initial telephone interview: to assess the applicant’s suitability.
- Two excellent references: if the applicant makes it past stage 1 we take up the cleaner’s references.
- We only take on candidates whose references emphasise their reliability, trustworthiness and high standard of cleaning.
- Second interview: Only if the cleaner’s references are excellent do we then conduct a second interview.
- The candidate must present well and have a positive attitude.
- English speaking: The applicant must speak English to facilitate clear communication.
- 2 hour minimum visit time for weekly cleaning.
- 2 hour minimum visit time for fortnightly cleaning.
- 2.5 hour min visit time for both cleaning & ironing combined.
Most cleaning companies in Oxford have a 3 hour minimum visit time for fortnightly cleaning but we offer 2 hours minimum.
You pay the cleaner at £10 per hour (£5 for half hours) at the end of her cleaning session in cash or by bank transfer.
The balance of the hourly rate (£3.50 per hour for weekly cleaning or £4.50 per hour for fortnightly cleaning) is paid to Thomson Cleaning separately one month in advance by monthly standing order or recurring monthly card payment only.
1. Yes. We email you the contract prior to your trial clean which you fill out using our electronic form.
2. There’s a 14 day cooling off period after signing where you can cancel at any time.
3. After that, you must provide 1 months’ notice if you wish to cancel our contract in writing (email is sufficient).
- We will ask you what date(s) could work for you for a trial clean.
- We contact our cleaning ladies to find out who we have available.
- We get back to you with our availability.
- We arrange a trial clean date & time with you.
1. The cleaner comes to your home on the arranged date & time.
2. She has a brief discussion with you about your cleaning requirements on arrival.
3. You show her around the property & where you keep your cleaning products & equipment.
4. You discuss & agree together how many hours she will do for the trial session.
5. We strongly recommend additional time for the trial session so the cleaner has enough time to do a really thorough initial clean. This enables the cleaner to start from a ‘clean slate’ for all subsequent maintenance cleans.
1.No, the trial clean is not a free session.
2. It is called a trial because you are trying out the cleaner and she is trying out the house (or office).
3. She will discuss & agree with you what you would like her do in her sessions & how much time she will need for the work you would like her to do.
Most of our clients are very happy with the first cleaner they are introduced to.
However, should this not be the case, we can arrange another trial clean for you.
- Following the trial clean, we will get in touch later that week to ask for your feedback.
- If you decide to go ahead with the cleaner, she will return either weekly or fortnightly on the same day and time.
- You can contact the office to request a stand-in cleaner or a refund of the agency fee if your usual cleaner contacts you to say she is ill and cannot attend her session.
- You do not pay the cleaner if she is ill or on holiday and cannot attend her session.
1.Prior to the trial clean, we ask you what day(s) of the week work for you for the regular cleaning session.
2. We match you with a cleaner available on that day of the week.
3. The more flexible you can be regarding the day and time, the greater the number of cleaners that will be available to you. If we do not have a cleaner available on the specific day & time you request, we will offer you what days & times we have available.
4. Our cleaners usually work between 9.00am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday, however if you require a cleaner outside these normal hours let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate your needs.
1.If you need to change the time and / or day of your clean that week this is possible.
2. In the first instance, please text or phone the cleaner to ask her if she can change the day / time that week with at least 24 hours’ notice.
3. She may be able to accommodate your request if she does not have other customers or commitments.
4. If she cannot accommodate you, please contact the office and we will do our best to find another cleaner who is available on the alternative day you are looking for.
On the rare occasion your cleaner is ill & cannot attend her cleaning session, she will contact you to let you know.
Then you can either:
a) Re-arrange directly with her to a different day (subject to her availability.)
b) Contact us to request a stand-in cleaner.
c) Contact us to request a refund of the agency fee for the missed session.
- If you or anyone in your household tests positive for coronavirus or if you or anyone in your household develops symptoms you must let let us know. The cleaner would not be able to visit for 14 days.
- We’ve asked our cleaners to let the office know if she or anyone in her household were to develop symptoms or test positive. She would need to self-isolate for 14 days.
- You do not pay the cleaner if she does not visit and if you would like a refund of the agency fee for the missed sessions(s) please ask us and we will refund this to you.
- If you would like a stand-in cleaner during this period please let us know.
1.The office will email you to inform you of your cleaner’s intended holiday dates. We’ll ask you if you would like a holiday cover cleaner or a refund of the agency fee for the missed session(s).
2. You do not pay your regular cleaner when she goes on holiday. If you have a stand-in cleaner you would pay that cleaner in cash or by bank transfer at the end of the session.
3. We will offer you what days / times we have available for a holiday cover clean. A degree of flexibility is required as it’s unlikely we’ll have another self-employed cleaner available on exactly the same day & time that your usual cleaner visits.
4. Someone would need to be at the property to let the holiday cover cleaner in or a key left in a key safe. [The office, or your usual cleaner cannot be responsible for ferrying around keys from your usual cleaner to the holiday cover cleaner.]
1.You can leave a key in a key safe for the cleaner. Or you can give the cleaner a key to use that she will keep on her keyring.
2. All of our cleaners are trained in safe key holding and are honest and trustworthy. She will not write your address or name on the key fob.
3. If you would ever like to have a holiday cover or sick cover cleaner, and it is likely you would not be at home during the week to let the cleaner in, we suggest you buy a key safe, they cost around £15.
4. This is because we are not able to pick up and deliver keys from your usual cleaner to your holiday cover cleaner.
1.Our cleaners do not usually work on bank holidays but you can try to re-schedule the missing cleaning session for another day of the week directly with your cleaner (subject to her availability).
2. If your usual cleaner is unable to do an alternative day that week, you can email the office to request a refund of the agency fee for that session.
- If your cleaner is not doing something in a way you would like her to we suggest you let them know exactly what you would like her to do and be specific. You can do this face to face or leave them note or text her with your specific requirements.
2. The cleaner will let you know how much time she will need to do the cleaning tasks / rooms you would like her to do.
3. You can contact us at any time for advice or if you would like us to discuss anything with the cleaner on your behalf. You also have the option of changing your cleaner if you would like.
1.There is a 1 month notice period to cancel our cleaning services which must put in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Please also let us know the final date that you would like the cleaner to visit.
Simply let us know whether you have a dog or cat, and we can make sure you are allocated a cleaner who likes dogs or cats and who isn’t allergic.